Friday, January 18, 2008

Roasted Chicken: A Vegetarian's Best Friend

As a vegetarian, the one thing that creeps me out is touching raw meat. I hear even some meat eaters get the hibbie jibbies...
So, to make sure my hubbie gets his meat fix, a nice fully roasted chicken will do the job.

The price is reasonable, and comparing it to buying chicken parts... well, roasted chicken sounds just fantastic! My next step is to find a place that will sell a roasted free range chicken...luckily there are lots of farmers around here who are jumping on the whole organic free range/sell small trend.


So with chicken in hand, I thought I would reuse that yummy enchilada sauce I had made a couple of weeks ago.


Here is one tip that any split family household should have.


One of the easiest things you can do to make your life easier is to have a duel set of cooking equipment. I don't necessarily mean you must have 2 of every kitchen appliance out there! But have


2 frying pans

2 sauce pans

2 cookies sheets


is not only a great idea for any split family to have.. but great for any budding chef!

In each frying pan, I sauted some sliced mushrooms/garlic and corn. Hubby carefully shreaded some of his chicken (while of course nibbling on some for himself) and added it to his sauce.

For my "meat" I used Schneiders Meatless Meatballs. I really like their texture/consistency and they can hold up in any time of stew or bake. These guys are great for simmering sauces since they will soak up any flavours you toss at them!
In the meantime, I used my trusty rice cooker to make up some lovely long grain rice. Sauted some green beans in brown butter sauce and voila!

No comments: