Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Light and Quick: Grilled Rosemary Chicken Salad and Tortilla Pizza

Since my darling husband has announced that he wants to lose weight, I've been on the look out for tasty low fat meals. When I suggested salad for dinner he gaffawed and said "That won't be filling! Not so! :)
I decided to make a grilled chicken salad with mixed greens and yummy vinaigrette.
I also threw together a tasty tortilla pizza. Using tortilla shells instead of an actual dough cuts back on the heavy carbs, but still delivers that classic pizza taste. You can top it anyway you like it, but I kept tonight's version simple.

To make this a split menu, I used my toaster oven to bake my fake chic'ken patties from Schneiders.

Grillled Rosemary Chicken with a Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette.

For the chicken


  • Chicken Thighs or Breasts (For him one thigh was a enough :) )

  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil

  • 1 Tbsp of freshly chopped Rosemary

  • salt and pepper to taste

Vinaigrette



  • 3 Tbsp of olive oil

  • 1 tsp of honey

  • 1 Tbsp of Fig preserve or marmalade

  • 1 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard

  • 2 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinaigrette

  • salt and pepper to taste


  1. Heat Grill to high (I used my Jamie Oliver grill)

  2. Rub olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper and rosemary over meat

  3. Place on grill. To get a nice seared crispy coating, resist the urge to move or flip your bird. Cook for 5 minutes

  4. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes until done

  5. Let meat rest and when cooled enough, slice into strips

  6. For vinaigrette mix dijon, honey, fig preserve. Slowly whisk in olive oil

  7. Light dress salad and chicken with vinaigrette


Tortilla Pizza



  • 1 flat whole wheat tortilla

  • olive oil to brush

  • shredded cheese (be creative! You can use Edam, Fontina, Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provalone etc...)

  • 1 Tbsp Spinach Basil Pesto (from last week)


  1. Brush both sides of tortilla with oil

  2. Spread Pesto to edges and then top with cheese

  3. Bake in toaster oven or oven at 400 C for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned

Not to toot my own horn, but when darling husband took a bite into the salad and chicken, his eyes lit up. Good? Mmmmm very good (he even sounded shocked as he said it)

No comments: