Friday, January 25, 2008

Always adding something new to your basic lasagna

Everyone has their own lasagna recipe they use again and again. There are variations, but you typically stick to a tried and true formula. And while I do LOVE lasagna, I wanted something a bit heartier.
I'm absolutely in love with Giada de Laurentiis. She has some fantastic authentic Italian recipes and I decided to combine a couple of them.
First, I made a lovely homemade tomato sauce which after 2 hours of simmering, was TOTALLY worth it. I used this sauce for her Individual Vegetable Lasagna recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22901,00.html .

Giada's Simple Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

  • 1 small onion,

  • chopped 2 cloves garlic,

  • chopped 1 stalk celery,

  • chopped 1 carrot,

  • chopped 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes

  • 4 to 6 basil leaves 2 dried bay leaves

  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

  1. In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium-high heat

  2. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.

  3. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and reduce the heat to low

  4. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until thick.

  5. Remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning

The key to this sauce is to let it simmer slowly over a long time. IT does reduce and become absolutely rich with flavour.

For the lasagna I basically followed her recipe with some minor changes. I used a mixture of ricotta AND cottage cheese (increase protein content and creamyness).

I served the lasagna with a lovely tossed salad with a lemon orange zest vinaigrette.

No comments: