Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Butternut Squash Ravioli and Tortellini (DECADENCE!)

This isn't a split recipe, but it is a damn tasty one. I also don't have any "real" measurements, as I was eyeballing the whole thing. I'll try to give estimations when I can.

From start to finish, this recipe is a challenge. However, by spreading out some of the steps, it isn't so bad. For the filling, I had some butternut squash that I had roasted a couple of days earlier. On a baking sheet, I had placed the pieces of squash and rubbed them with some olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Roasted them for about 80 minutes at 400 deg.

Along for the ride were two foiled wrapped garlic heads. Roasted garlic can keep for days and is handy to have for so many recipes.




The other added bonus for this recipe was that I could finally crack open my newest kitchen toy: KitchenAid Food Processor, given to me by my darling husband for Christmas (Schanks sweetie!)

So, into the bowl went my Butternut Squash (I probably had about a 1 1/2 cups), 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese, 2 roasted garlic cloves, a pinch of sage and cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste. A couple of tbsp of olive oil was also added. Mix until smooth.

At this point, I snuck a taste (Yes the blade had stopped running!) and OH MY LORD... sweet yummy DECADENCE!!)



The key to making these guys is


  1. Patience

  2. Mise en Place

The first because these can be kinda tricky to make. The second part is French for "Have everything in place". I generally do this in all my cooking, but here it is crucial. Treat it like a little pasta making factory assembly line!


I used one package of won ton wrappers for the dough. Take them out and keep them wrapped in a damp paper towel (they'll fold easier this way). You will need to have"



  1. Butternut Squash Filling

  2. Won Ton wrappers wrapped in damp paper towel

  3. Bowl of Water

  4. Pastry brush

  5. Melon Baller (not necessary, but when else am I going to use this guy?)

  6. A couple of cookie sheets pre dusted with flour

  7. Extra flour for your work surface.

I decided to try and make Ravioli and it's pretty straight foward. Lay your noodle down, plop a melon ball size of filling (say 1/2 tbsp). Wet the edges with water, place another noodle on top. Make sure to squeeze out any excess air. You can crimp the edges with a fork. Once done, place them on your cookie sheet, then pop in them into the freezer. Once frozen, they can be placed into a ziplock baggie.



Now for some tortellini...


I suppose that once you start making one type of stuffed pasta, the others are just as easy to do. So, for funsies, I played around and attempted to make tortellini.



The first step is to place a 1/2 tbsp of filling in the center of your square dough. Wet the edges and fold into a triangle (left).
Next, brush a little more water on the tips and bring them together (almost like folding a diaper!). Pinch to secure. At this point, you should have something that resembles the pope's hat (middle).
Lastly, bring the last point in and pinch, again adding more water if need be.

The finished product!
Butternut squash tortellini with a brown butter cream sauce with sage and hazelnuts
  • 24 tortellini
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 1 tbsp of 35% cream
  • 1 tsp sage
  • 2 tbsp of crushed hazelnuts
  • salt and pepper to taste

Set a large pot of water to boil, season with salt. While this is heating up, start with your sauce. The tortellini don't take that much time to cook (3 minutes MAX!) so you want your sauce to be ready beforehand.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. The first time I did this, it started as a beautiful cream colour to burnt black. As my husband looked over my shoulder he reminded me how easily butter burns... fine fine.

The second time, I took my time and gently melted the butter and heated until it turned a lovely caramel colour. Once it reaches that point, take it off the heat and add your sage, cream, salt and pepper.

Once your water is boiling, add your tortelini. After a minute or two, they will start to rise from the bottom. Once they start floating at the top (2 minutes) they are done. Fish them out with a slotted spoon and toss them in your sauce.

Add your hazelnuts and grated parmesan cheese.

Now to describe this flavour. ... almost like little pillows of sweet savoury heavenly goodness. The filling melts on your tongue and does a lovely dance with the creamy butter and nutty hazelnuts. DELISH!

No comments: