Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Breakfast Frittata: where everyone wins!

When I woke up Saturday morning, I turned to my husband and said "Let's have a frittata for breakfast". He grumbled and said it would be too much work. Which is High-larious since I'll be the one making it... let me worry about work.

Anywho, I ran downstairs while he started a load of laundry. By the time he was done, so was breaky. In the end, he had a tasty meal and I had clean clothes. Everyone wins!

Frittatas may sound complicated, but they are a great thing to serve when you have vegetarians and meat eaters together. I used a regular sized cast iron pan, but if you are really ambitious you could use 2 (one meat one veggie).
To satisfy my husband's meat urges, I placed a thin slice of prosciutto on his plate with this frittata. Serve with slices of baguette.

Potato and Spinach Frittata for 4
  • 5 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup diced potato
  • 1/2 cup of chopped spinach
  • 1 Tbsp Cajun Spice (paprika, chle, parsley, cumin salt and pepper)
  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp of freshly chopped Rosemary
  • 1 Tbsp of milk
  • A few thin slices of cheddar cheese
  • Prosciutto slices

  1. Heat up cast iron pan on medium
  2. In a bowl toss potatoes, olive oil and cajun seasoning
  3. Add potatoes to cast iron. Cook until brown and crisp. Add rosemary
  4. In same bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Whisking add bubbles which will make the frittata light and fluffy
  5. Top with chopped spinach and cheese
  6. Pop into a preheated oven at 400 C for 5 minutes or until frittata has settled and browned. (jiggle the pan.. should be slightly firm)
  7. Cool cut and serve




No comments: