Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cleaning out the Fridge: Ginger Teriyaki Fried Rice

There is this restaurant in Ottawa called Shanghai that serves the BEST Chinese food I've had in a long time. One of my favorite dishes is their Ginger Teriyaki Fried Rice. How much do I love it? Well, I ordered it at our rehearsal dinner the night before our wedding, and we went there for some post honeymoon dindin the night after our wedding. Yeah, I may have a slight addiction when the staff recognize you. Sigh.

Anywho, I think I've managed to get a good copy of this dish. Even though Fried Rice sounds like an easy dish to make, I always made the mistake of cooking everything at once, which inevitably makes everything soft and mushy. By cooking each component one at time allows it to brown and cook properly. The best way to do this is to cook on high: this will give the right texture and crispyness to your veggies, won't make them soggy. This in my opinion is THE best nutriotional way of cooking veggies (as opposed to boiling or steaming.. yuck!)
This cooking technique makes it ideal for a split menu.

I call this a cleaning out the fridge dish because really, you don't need all these vegetables. Sometimes I'll raid my crisper and just add stuff that is on its last legs. I use my rice cooker to cook my rice. If you don't have one, that's okay, as long as it is day old rice. I have used freshly made and old rice and the older rice just seems to withstand the whole cooking process better.

Ginger Teriyaki Fried Rice
  • 2 Tbsp of canola oil
  • 1 cup of meat of your choice (cooked/leftover chicken/beef strips, shrimp if raw, that's okay)
  • 1/2 Tbsp of Sesame Oil
  • 1 thumb size piece of ginger finely minced
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 cups of cooked rice (brown or white)
  • 3 cups of veggies (I use baby corn, water chestnuts, carrots, celery, broccoli, bokchoy and snow peas)
  • 1 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
  • 1/4 cup of Teriyaki Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp of Chinese Chili sauce (the one with the Rooster)
  • 1 green onion finely sliced
  • 1/4 cup of freshly chopped coriander (optional)
  1. Heat up your wok or skillet. If you are using uncooked meat, make sure they are cut small and equal sized to ensure even cooking. Season meat with sesame oil, salt and pepper and cook until almost done (It will continue cooking later on). If using cooked meat, skip this step.
  2. Remove meat and wipe out wok.
  3. Meanwhile, whisk your eggs in a small bowl with salt, pepper and some of the green onions.
  4. Heat 1 Tbsp of canola oil. Add eggs and allow to set. You are basically making an omelet. Once set, break up into pieces using your spoon or spatula.
  5. Remove eggs amd wipe out wok.
  6. Heat remaining oil on high in wok. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute (be sure not to burn!)
  7. Add your veggies and saute for 2-3 until they begin to soften. Move veggies aside and pour soy sauce, chili sauce and teriyaki sauce.
  8. Add rice to center of bowl. Quickly mix in veggies and add in your cooked eggs. Continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
  9. Add remaining green onions and coriander, cook another minute.
  10. Take out half of fried rice and set aside (this is now your vegetarian meal). In wok add in your meat and mix.


No comments: